Pennies 'n' Pyros
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because why not?

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Orwell Vs Huxely

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
St2udent
Admin
St2udent

Orwell Vs Huxely  Empty
PostSubject: Orwell Vs Huxely    Orwell Vs Huxely  EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:43 pm

So , who do you think was (or will) be right , George Orwell , or Aldous Huxley?
If youve got no clue what Im talking about read the comic , then pick a side.
A little research wouldn't hurt , but you can argue this on a purely hypothetical basis.

Orwell Vs Huxely  6a00d83451e10d69e2013485caede0970c-500wi
Back to top Go down
Typho
Admin
Typho

Orwell Vs Huxely  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orwell Vs Huxely    Orwell Vs Huxely  EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 am

Ok, I've read Brave New World (great book, btw) and that kinda explains Brave New World, but misses the point. Brave New World, in my opinion, had few parallels to 1984, but far more parallels to The Giver, in which we are bred from birth to have a specific role in life, even to the point of removing all color and emotion from the world. In Brave New World, essentially our genes were modified so that some people would get all the benefits (stronger, smarter, better jobs, more beautiful) and others got all the flaws (cripples, genetic defects, ugliness, stupidity, weakness) in order to have the ideal workers and ideal utopia. I mean, babies grew in freaking tanks of liquid. As for the pleasure, the only one popping into my mind now is Soma, an engineered drug with effects similar to both cocaine and LSD (delusions about yourself from cocaine, think Leo saying "I feel wonderful," as well as delusions of the world around you, literal hallucinations) to escape. This wasn't used frequently though, and when someone "went on a Soma trip" they would announce it so it wouldn't disrupt society.

My point is, even though I agree with what the article claimed was Huxley's point, it wasn't Huxley's point. Anyway, weren't the images of distractions oddly familiar...?
Back to top Go down
https://penro.forumotion.com
St2udent
Admin
St2udent

Orwell Vs Huxely  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orwell Vs Huxely    Orwell Vs Huxely  EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 11:58 am

Hmmmm......I might just read all of these (and reread the Giver.......I might read the sequel...Im pretty sure it was "Gathering Blue". You should look it up!)
so Il actuallybe able to argue that point!
Il finish reading them in about.........2 to 3 weeks.
Till then , I cant really offer much more than an opinion.
Back to top Go down
Typho
Admin
Typho

Orwell Vs Huxely  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orwell Vs Huxely    Orwell Vs Huxely  EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Long books man, good luck for 3 weeks... And take Comp next year for moar awesome books!
Back to top Go down
https://penro.forumotion.com
St2udent
Admin
St2udent

Orwell Vs Huxely  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orwell Vs Huxely    Orwell Vs Huxely  EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:08 am

Sounds interesting enough....Il go for it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Orwell Vs Huxely  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orwell Vs Huxely    Orwell Vs Huxely  Empty

Back to top Go down

Orwell Vs Huxely
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pennies 'n' Pyros :: -Pause- :: Game Over. Continue?-
Jump to: